Recognizing a recent career transition I wanted to travel and immerse myself in cultures, ideas and people that were entirely new to me. Choosing Africa was an obvious choice for me because of it’s particular intrigue and that it’s so different than what I have ever experienced in my life.
My experience in working with different cultures and people throughout my career has prepared me with a good dose of curiosity and flexibility. However, what I discovered over three weeks in Africa just scratched the surface. Aside from 16 recognized languages in South Africa alone, there is immense beauty, culture and wildlife to learn about.
Inspiration about Materials Innovation:
- Colors create energy. Contrasted by nature’s neutrals, the vibrant colors reverberate with positive energy and motion.
- Graphics. Look at the handmade objects and the simplicity of the message.
- Biomimicry. Africa is an amazing source of inspiration and ideas informed by nature.
Suggestions for a successful trip to Africa:
- Lose your watch! Life is run by Mother Nature not by our human devices here.
- Listen. The animals and people have lots to say if you pay attention.
- Take a safari! Experience the sheer pleasure and absolute fear of being face to face with the animals!
- “How Can Man Die Better” by Benjamin Pogrund. Biography of the inspiring life of Robert Sobukwe and his fight to free the country from oppression.
- “Odyssey to Freedom” by George Bizos. A memoir by the human rights advocate, friend and lawyer to Nelson Mandela.
- “Biomimicry: Innovation Inspired by Nature” by Janine M. Benyus. This book details how science studies nature’s best ideas to solve our toughest 21st century problems.
Enjoy highlights from Africa trip where I discovered my Big 5: Culture, Adventure, Wildlife, Entertainment & Beauty! Check out highlights from my trip here: Africa Trip 2016 Presentation